Monday, July 18, 2011

the singles ward. activity.







Since I've been in a singles ward (for the second go-round), I've declared myself as a "back-row" mormon. I go to church, I'm nice to the people that are sitting in my vicinity.... but I rarely go to any activities. like, I think I've been to one in two years. I still get people that ask if I'm one of the new ones! I am very comfortable in my little bubble of "bolt as soon as the last 'Amen' is said".  

So, just try to imagine my excitement, when I was called to the ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE.

(warning: diva moment)

UGH.
go out of my way?
get out of my comfort zone?
attend an activity?

Well, this last weekend was our huge, multi-ward river rafting trip. Camping for 3 days in Wyoming with 168 people I hardly knew.

I registered about... 2 weeks ago. 
I was called as a group leader as well, so that really sealed the deal.

....

SURPRISE!

It was a total blast. I fully enjoyed myself. really. I met a ton of new people. I laughed harder than I have in weeks. I made really good friends who were strangers just 24 hours before. 



I am an idiot.
I am humbled.
I get it, I'm not in charge!



sometimes you don't know why you are where you are,
 until you do what you have been asked to do.


2 comments:

  1. uh oh! Tyler better put a ring on it before you meet some fellow who snakes in :)..... Sorry, i couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is awesome. This post was really cool. I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete

You're so sweet to leave me a li'l message.