Wednesday, May 16, 2012

the book wizard

You might know that when I worked at the apartment complex in West Valley, I met some very interesting people. This guy was no exception. The first day he came in, he gave me his card that said "THE BOOK WIZARD". He specialized in "rare & interesting" books. He was also pretty creepy. He asked me out when he moved in, I told him I had a boyfriend. He came in a week later and told me he'd be sad until I was his girlfriend. I let him know that he was too old for me. He then lied about his age, as if I hadn't seen his license when he did the paperwork to move in. "You're older than my dad!" I said.
He also gave the heebie jeebies to a few of his single lady neighbors, racked up a few complaints. Needless to say, I kept my distance.

Fast forward over two years later:

I now work downtown. I dropped my car off at Firestone to get my tires rotated.  As I'm walking down Broadway, a voice from behind says " Excuse me, but are you interested in rare & interesting books?" I turn around, and instantly become grateful for my sunglasses because my eyes fell out of my head. "Uhh.. No thanks. I mean I like books, but... "
I'm not sure what happened, but the book wizard followed me another block telling me about his "shop" in his apartment. I told him I knew who he was, and he was genuinely surprised!
"I know who you are. "
 "You do?"
"Yeah, I moved you in to Emerald Court".
 "Oh, really? What was your name again?"

I ditched him around 2nd East. "I only read textbooks, but it was good to see you!" And swiftly ducked into the nearest deli.

What an unfortunate blast from the past.

PS. While I was sitting at the deli trying to eat my sandwich and read Harry Potter (#4!) An italian guy came outside and said "What a terrible way to live." Holding up his pack of cigarettes. I didn't get it and mumbled something unintelligible. He went inside, came back out, and said "See, what a terrible habit. I'm not taking care of myself. Do you take care of yourself?" "I try to... " "It looks like you take care of yourself."   sweet.   Can I please read about the Imperius curse now?!

1 comment:

  1. Haha I think you need your old job back. I miss your stories. But if they keep bumping into you again anyway, I may survive. You're just too sweet to people.

    ReplyDelete

You're so sweet to leave me a li'l message.